Monday, January 11, 2010

Khakra-fafda-handwa-thepla-dhokla

The theme of the year so far has been movies and so we went to see 3 Idiots yesterday. It's ages since I laughed my guts out and there were moments when I laughed so hard that tears rolled out of my eyes. What a wonderful way to start a sunday.

Wish the movie had more college incidents where the idiots show their true brilliance, also wish the script had few idiotic entitlement for Madhavan and Sharman. This was all about the genius Rancho, the other two were just his hanger's on. Of course, they have equal screen time, but they weren't really the idiots there. With all the promotions and word-of-mouth reviews, I went into the theater assuming that the movie was about 3 idiotic geniuses. I guess, the movie should have been titled - 1 Idiot.

Finally Kareena's put the khakra-fafda-handwa-thepla-dhokla on the bollywood map. It's time people took potshots at Gujarati cuisine, enough of idli-dosa-kaafee jokes. The actor portraying - Chatur Ramalingam (I think, based mostly on the US bred/returned TamBrahm) was by far the best actor in the movie. There was nothing much for Aamir Khan to display his wares here, roles like Rancho are bread and butter for him, he must have just walked into the sets, done his thing and mostly slept through this movie.

Having seen the IIM-Bangalore campus few time from the inside, could recognise the location instantly and since I cross the campus daily on my way to office through that wretched Bannerghata road, it certainly was bit too much to see Aamir get out of the campus on a scooter and drive straight onto the wide streets of Delhi. But hey well, it's a movie, I shouldn't be complaining?

This was supposedly an all family entertainer but I had quite a few uneasy, embarassing moments trying to explain stuff to my 'nearly-5' year old girl. The movie Avatar, was supposedly PG-12 and I never had any awkward time with my little one.

There's a controversy raging on about this movie, with regards to due credit not been given to the author and the producers-promoters being disingenuous abut the whole thing and I am not really sure who's right here and don't really want to take sides here, not have much to say, but I do get the feeling that it's true isn't it - Success has many fathers?

No comments: