Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Gradual and Delayed Impressions

Now that the dust has settled on US Trip and I am fully into my routine, I can look back and visualise all that of USA , that made a huge impression on me. Well there are two enduring images that spring immediately in my mind. The visit to Pebble Beach and the walk on the ramp besides and along the Golden gate Bridge late in the evening.

The Pebble Beach or the 17 Mile Drive is a must see and THE place to visit. It is exceptionally well maintained with the lovely drive in and out of the forest, with some scary breathtaking view of the waves hitting the rocks. The view of the Pacific Ocean from there was just AWESOME. So was the walk on the Golden Gate Bridge, the extremely fierce chilly winds, the relentless stream of strident cars whizzing past at great speeds with the sound it makes, the awe inspiring sight of the Alcatraz Island and the San Francisco skyline from the Bridge, and the fearful heights when one looks below from the Bridge.

If not for Karthikeyan and his family hosting and taking care of me and Karthikeyan planning my sightseeing and accompanying me everywhere, I would have seen only 40% of what I saw of SF. I would have been able to buy only 40-50% of all that I bought there if not for Karthikeyan spending on my entertainment et al; thereby allowing me to indulge in shopping.

The Pebble Beach wouldn't have had happened, neither I would have been aware of it nor would have had means to make it to that place (considering my very short stay), if not for my friend and classmate. I would have had almost no opportunity to experience the roads of US and the drive out there if not for Karthikeyan and his SUV. To experience USA is complete only when one hit's the roads there. No wonder most of the time people are seen driving. The wonderful array of Cars, their broad impeccable roads, their highways and the rules on the street, and that leaves no one in doubt about who contributes the most to the thinning of the Ozone. No way would Bush agree to the Kyoto Treaty et al - anyways that's a different issue altogether.

The early morning walk to the 211 Main office from Bush Street and the awesome towers and buildings lined up in that area, appearing all the more overwhelming in the morning due to the fog and the cold, is also something that would be in the memory for a long time to come and oh yeah the view of the SF skyline from the apartment balcony on the 6th floor was splendid to say the least.

Not much happened with Karthikeyan, in terms of the leg pulling that we used to pander to during our College days.But his Sense of Humour is as intact as ever,in fact more pleasurable than before, his humour isn't as dark as it used to be in college days. Maybe he's more relaxed, now that all his needs are taken care of. The only area where I could pull him a bit was his photography skills and those darkened photos that he snapped. He has this amazing knack of pointing the camera and clicking for a frame, in a jiffy. The whole background in the frame is clear, so is the scenic beauty - alas except the face of the person in question. That would remain dark almost invisible. Actually he hadn't yet figured out the working of the Flash of his new camera and hence those photos. That part of the pulling his legs, seems to have made his wife Valar, very sensitive. It would take some time for her, I guess, to understand our way with each other. It ain't criticism of her dear husband, as Nanda would point it, that's ALL FUN Machee.

No comments: