Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Home state

How does it feel to travel to a place where almost everybody around you speaks the same language as you do ? I've never experienced this before, well almost never experienced, considering that I once went to Gujarat when I was 8 years old and do not have any memory of that trip whatsoever.

My vacation trip to Gujarat last week, allowed me to experience that feeling of being in sync linguistically with everyone around. This has been a completely new experience for me. We happened to speak among ourselves in an autorickshaw the need for a bottle of mineral water and within few minutes, the autorickshaw driver without being told, stopped near a store so that we can buy water there. Apparently he overheard us, and importantly understood us. It did feel weird though, we are used to conversing in our mother tongue among ourselves, particularly when we want to get detached from our surroundings. 

Some background here - I am a Gujarati, born in Karnataka, brought up in Tamilnadu, worked in Kerala & Tamilnadu and currently settled in Karnataka. So mostly lived in Southern India. Also, India is a union of states, comprising 28 states and few union territories and the states were carved out on a linguistic basis. That brings me to a question - Not really sure why people from the Telangana region are fighting for a separate Telangana state, but Telugu is spoken in both Telangana region and the rest of Andhra, so why the need for a separate state ? Beats me.

No comments: