Monday, June 07, 2010

Mysore Zoo

Amazing, never expected this zoo to be that good. It’s rare to come across a zoo in India with wide and varied animals ranging from an ostrich to colorful parakeets, hyenas to rhinoceros. Except for the Panther, all varieties of cats - big and small, lazy and lively are seen in this Zoo. The giraffes of course hold their own among all the significant animals in this zoo and are a big draw all by themselves. Marvelous!

As we were walking along (it takes about 2.5 to 3 hrs), it was quite amusing to see some idiots clapping and calling the animals by their names, maybe expecting the animals to turn around and look at them. One guy went on screaming - 'Cheetah, cheetah' as if the Cheetah was going to say yeah right, you got my name correct. I guess that guy deserved to be in the cage, I am sure he would clap back and acknowledge all those who would ever call him.

One thing we Indians, don't do well is Merchandising, I wish they had a decent store where you could buy souvenir's and memorabilia's. They could also do with a IMAX theatre and show all those amazing National Geographic/Discover documentaries. I am sure there's so much potential for additional revenue which could be ploughed back in the Zoo. The Zoo could also do with better signage and creative visual graphics.
 Couple of incidents with my daughter is worth mentioning here.

1. On seeing hippopotamus being fed some green leaves and foliage, my wife enquired - What are they feeding? My daughter immediately quipped - Salad.

2. On seeing the very still Crocodiles, I remarked - Wow, look at them they are frozen! My wife wisecracked, they are playing - 'Statue' (The game where kids point their index finger at someone and shout – Statue, and the person on the other side is supposed to stay still, no matter what they are doing, in whatever pose they are in, not even bat an eyelid, till the kids say – Relax, the other person can’t come out of stupor and if they do move before that, they stand to lose.) The moment my wife said that, one of the crocodiles yawned and moved a little, immediately my daughter retorted – he’s out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad u guys had a good time. will talk to my friend who promotes karnataka tourism. will be thrilled to oblige.