Friday, November 12, 2010

Two Tracks

I got out of the train and was aghast to see no railway platform. There were two tracks separated by a narrow but deep chasm, unending darkness in there. People were carefully walking along the track using the small space available besides the track, making sure they don’t fall in the abyss. Some of them were walking on the second railway track. I leapt across to the second track and did the same. I asked someone what if I see a train in the distance on this track, he advised me to leap back to the earlier track. I then asked him what If there are trains running on both tracks; he snarled at me and informed me that it never happens, they never have scheduling conflicts.

Few meters down the track I encountered couple of urchins in rags, one of them approached me and made a smoking gesture popular with dopes and asked me – Do you want to take a streak behind the bush? (Streak was the word, not really a known slang preferred by junkies).I refused and got punched on the nose. Wiping the blood away, I gave him 50 cents to stop bothering me. Not paisa but cents so I was in US. I kept walking on the track to nowhere, not seem to be going anywhere.

Then I woke up. Phew!

No comments: